Monday, August 13, 2012

Mondays are the best!

Mondays are the least likely to be enjoyable part of the week beside a Thursday that you think is a Friday but is actually a Thursday (which happens to me, like, every week). But you know what? Any day can be enjoyable with the right music, even Monday or the day after Christmas. Lemme help you with that.

"Light On In Every Corner" by Lady on the Moon
One of the best parts of this song has to be the lead vocals. The singer's voice is sort of anti-Nickelback, smooth and feeling but not pathetically smooth and feeling, y'know? Toward the end, around 3:50, the guitar starts to sound a little Coldplay circa X&Y, with a "Fix You" vibe. That's something I'd love to see more of as this band progresses. Very upbeat, very sweet, and worth listening.

"Stubborn Love" by The Lumineers
I saw The Lumineers in concert fairly recently, and these guys totally rocked. I particularly like the percussionist, Jeremiah Fraites. He plays a mean mandolin. They were the opening band, but I found their stage presence and musicianship to be superior to that of the headliner. And they were wearing fedoras and suspenders, so plus 17 points for The Lumineers. I've posted their more popular song "Hey Ho," here. If you haven't heard it yet, I highly suggest you google that.

"Black Vessel" by Pearl and the Beard
There is some serious harmonization going on here, but the use of unity really works for them when they revert to it. I've been meaning to post some Pearl and the Beard forever, but I always seem to forget. There's almost a playfulness (maybe that's the harmony?) mixed in with the intensity of this song, and the opposition there pulls the song together so nicely.

Life, it be good.

xx coco

2 comments:

  1. I would like to say for the record that the Lumineers live in Denver, which is a good city to visit. And thanks, Coco, for posting Pearl and the Beard. They're amazing live, and it's always nice to see them get some play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katrinka,
    True, Denver is an incredible place! There's so much energy there, and the music scene is boppin'. I'm so glad you like the music selection. Feel free to hit me with suggestions!
    xx coco

    ReplyDelete