Friday, August 10, 2012

Olympics For the Win!

Olympic Fever. I have it. Sports on television, they're not really my thing. But when you've got literally the world's best at each sport, really amazing things happen. The way that people can dedicate themselves to a sport so that they're running inhumanly fast, bending their bodies in impossible ways, or jumping 1.5 times my height in the air is so inspiring that I wish I was doing more than sitting on my couch watching them, eating whipped cream with a spoon. And nothing feels quite so powerful as watching two athletes from different countries and ethnicities embracing after their event, happy to be sharing more than borders and politics can separate: the sting of hard work and passion for the sport.

I jest. Of course I wasn't using a spoon. You spray canned whipped cream straight in your mouth, no matter how old you get.

But in honor of the games, I thought I'd make an Olympic-themed post. May the odds be ever in your favor! Wait, no, that's wrong...

"Is Your Love Big Enough?" by Lianne La Havas
Wikipedia tells me that Lianne La Havas is from London, and her parents are Greek and Jamaican, so she pretty much embodies the 2012 Olympic effort. Her voice can sound almost Adele-esque at times, but in other songs, I could swear it was Fiest. Looks like she has quite the style and soul, and I can't wait to see her grow and gain a bigger presence in the music world.

"Middle Distance Runner" by Sea Wolf
First, allow me to profess my profound love for Sea Wolf. I love them profoundly. Now that that's done, having been a middle distance runner, I can attest that this song pretty much nails the feeling I had during every single winter run I ever took. A little mellow, melancholy, very steady. In other news, have you seen the Olympic runners? It's just not even fair the way that their bodies move. They're machines.

"Racing Light" by Stars of Track and Field
How could I not use this song? Ignore the fact that it's by a band called Stars of Track and Field. It's called "Racing Lights." How perfect is that?! And when you look at the lyrics, they're really vague enough that you could, through crafty interpretation, construe them to be about an actual race. Go team.

So I hope you're all enjoying the 'lympics, lovin' the music, and eating whipped cream like it was a sport. Play on.

xx coco

No comments:

Post a Comment