Saturday, August 18, 2012

Come gather round people, wherever you roam.

Happy Friday Post! Before you get so excited that you jump out of your office chair, let me tell you two items of bad news. It is not Friday and I am not Coco. Stop breathing into your paper bag, I swear its gonna be alright. Firstly, the time on my dying computer reads 1:23 AM. Readers, the times, they are a changing. Coco has moved to the West coast. New time zones are nonsense but something we all must live with. Also, Coco hasn’t yet moved to the West coast (SO MANY LIES!!). She is on a plane somewhere over Nebraska or possibly Kansas, there is no difference… This is her older sister with slightly better taste (getting used to the lies yet?) signing on to make sure you get your fix of Coco Capp.

As Coco’s big sister, I feel compelled to use this post as a platform to give her some advice for this big new adventure that she is embarking on. Anyone else reading this should consider themselves lucky to receive these pearls of wisdom. Glean all you can from me in this short time that we have together. 

“Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites” by Skrillex
Lots of people like Skrillex. I have not traditionally been one of them. (Someone should ask Coco about her little run in with Skrillex’s tour bus one of these days!) This version of Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites was a micro-revolution for me. I don’t know that I’d say I was judging a book by its cover (there are worse hair cuts than the half shaved head), but I never gave poor Sonny John Moore a chance. Don’t ever disregard anything or anyone or any experience, deep down (sometimes kinda far deep really deep down) people are good.

"Slumdog Millionaire" by A. R. Rahman
You all know this song. You have all danced to this song. You have all yelled Jai Ho right before you’ve gone and done something maybe a little crazy or unruly. Jai Ho means BE VICTORIOUS! This song should remind everyone that you only get one shot at life. As Drake would say, YOLO. Coco, in this new adventure of yours, I hope you say Jai Ho a lot. Don’t hold back and don’t say no to anything. 

"The Past Recedes" by John Frusciante
You don’t have to understand all of the lyrics (word is that John Frusciante has fake teeth) but I want you to listen to this song and know that “every drop of sea is the whole ocean”. Its hard to leave things behind. Things can seem bigger than they are. Heartache sucks. But the future is big and is coming on like an eighteen wheeler on an icy mountain road. The past recedes, except for the people and parts of it that you choose to make a part of the present. Here comes the sun. You know its going to be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment