Friday, July 13, 2012

Tonight, Tonight

You know when I feel like a loser? When someone asks what genre of music I like. If you like the music I post, you probably understand the feeling. (If you don't like the music I post, what the heck are you doing here?) Usually I sound a little like this: "Well, mostly I listen to bands that are a little... rocky. With some folk thrown in. And oldies. Good ones, like the Stones, none of that 'polka dot bikini' business. Plus a bit of Jack White sometimes. And every once in a while some reggae. Oh and Jack Johnson." By the time I've listed off three more genres and rambled for a minute more about how not all indie rock is bad and picked some fuzz off my sweater, I'm normally not in a conversation anymore. Then again, I'd rather not say "Oh, I like a bit of everything," because that leaves me sounding indecisive and like not much of a music fan at all. Besides, I don't like a bit of everything. Once dubstep actually made my ears bleed.

So if you've been listening to Coco Cappuccino and are wondering what genre you've gotten into, I have no idea. Tell people your taste in music is as changing and harsh and untamable as the sea. And say it in the Tia Dalma voice too, so it really freaks them out.

"On The Sly" by The Bamboos feat. Kyle Auldist
Hey I like that red dress! I had originally wanted to post a different song by The Bamboos, "Medicine Man," but dat ain't on YouTube, so listen in on Spotify or something, whatever.

"Save my Soul"by Alpine Shore
The beginning of this song seriously sounds like "Steal My Kisses" by Ben Harper. These guys are from Colorado and describe their sound as "Colorado Beach Music" which sort of seems disillusioned to me because Colorado is very landlocked, but I'm totally going with it because my ears liked it anyways.

"Junk of the Heart (Happy)" by the Kooks
This has to be my favorite Kooks song. It's nice because you can really just kick it while you listen. Very catchy, doesn't get old. Except every time I see the title, I sort of think about "My Junk" from the musical Spring Awakening. Not a bad music video. I'm not overly enthused with it or anything, but the shadows of the violin players are quite lovely.

Oh, by the way, that whole thing about bleeding ears was a lie. Except once I was so close to the speaker at Young the Giant that I actually thought I felt something that had ruptured in my ear and freaked out until we got to the car and my sister could confirm that, indeed, my ears were intact. True story, bro.

xx coco

No comments:

Post a Comment